Facebook

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wedding Wednesday - Mabel GREEN and James POWELL

This is my grandmother, Anna Green's sister, Mabel Lee GREEN, and her husband, James Calvin Powell.  Mabel was born in Rolesville, NC on March 9, 1889 to John Wesley and Susan Dunstan Green. She died in Raleigh, NC on December 11, 1978 at the age of 89.
James was born on June 19, 1889 in Wake Forest, NC, to Calvin and Healon Powell. He died at age 36 on June 16, 1925 of acute Bright's Disease.  According to his death certificate, James was a barber.  This makes me wonder if he may have worked for (or with) my grandfather, who I'm told owned a barber shop.
James and Mabel made their home in Raleigh, NC on Person Street.  They were the parents of five children;  James Jr., Ella, Roger, Mabel, and Ruby (who was born the same year her father died).

2 comments:

  1. What a pretty lady! I love that dress, too. Is this their wedding photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather! Unfortunately, there is no family lore to go along with the picture, so I can only guess. I believe it is probably her wedding dress, and therefore their wedding photo, so I'm claiming it! :)

    Renate

    ReplyDelete